Friday, April 11, 2014

Up from the Downs

Two weeks have never* been more different.

*ok, an exaggeration, but still.

Last week was the pits. This week's been not only just manageable ... but (mostly) nice! I didn't even want to post anything last week for lack of things worth mentioning except perhaps my dabbling in postpartum depression checklists to see what actually counts. I'd been thinking, OK, I'm 10 weeks postpartum ... when does the "blues" period technically end and something more serious start? What I found is that it's not that simple or clear-cut. And what I decided I really needed was a day spent with Colleen - and a naptime where all 3 kids slept simultaneously to gift us with a good ol' talk. She didn't necessarily say anything that others hadn't before - a lot of women feel like you do, it's just a phase, etc - but it's Colleen! And she does have a certain way of saying things that helps me get out of my head. Plus, since I know she's, shall we say, Irish-spirited?, I know she's not making light of what I relate to her.

So, that was Tuesday of this week after being mostly irritable, hard to please, and short-tempered with Paul & Dylan last week. Then, ta-da, Wednesday's 2-year-old tantrum comes, and I laugh, talk softly, and handle Paul differently ... getting better results; imagine that.

I won't deny that warmer weather has played its part. Snow has melted, and breezes are warmer, so little Ada doesn't "oo oo oo" every time it blows, and then scream. I was afraid she didn't like outside ... and that just wouldn't fly with her big brother who *must* be outside. Once last week, I was, pardon, damned if I do, damned if I don't. Paul screamed to get out or Ada screamed once we were out ... question of whose cry is worse to endure, ugh.

In the last two weeks since posting, we've gotten a bit more of a rhythm down around the Knoll house. Lil Bit has calmed her evenings (yes!), Paul is easy to bed at 8, and then Ada has gone down (more or less) around 9, woken once to nurse, and then slept til 9 or 9:30. I like this schedule! Being too close to the forest to see the trees, I needed to have the goodness of our schedule pointed out to me. But I get it now, so we're good.

Last week's blah-state:

Watching Thomas...









Naptime at the Bivers:







This week's outdoors play/nap:



3 comments:

  1. glad you had a good week!
    ..thought it was a bit long between posts and was wondering how things were for you all.
    Wishing you more sunshine, warmth, rhythm and good weeks!
    Something should arrive in the most in the next few weeks. Something for Paul and Ada. If I could collect a little bit of Colleen and bottle her I'd do that too. Nothing like a good yarn with a dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Shelley =) You're so right. And we'll look forward to a package! Woo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That should be Michelle ... hm.

    ReplyDelete